here may be many reasons as to why you may not have been able to create Partitions/drive during your Windows 10 installation. But don’t worry here in this post we will see how to create new drive in Windows 10.
There are 2 ways through which this can be achieved. First one is using the built in Windows 10 utility called Disk management and the other one is using third party software. We will take a look at both the approaches.
How to create new drive in Windows 10?
The first method may not work for some people but the second method is sure to work for everybody out there.
Create new Drive in Windows 10 using the built in Disk Management Utility
- Go to run and type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- The disk management utility will open up. It displays all the Disks connected to the system at that moment. Below is a screenshot of the Disk Management Utility.
- Now right click on the Disk Partition which you want to divide into multiple partitions and click on Shrink Volume. It will show the number of MBs/GBs which you can remove from that partition to create a new partition.
- Now you will be asked about the space to be freed up for new drive.
- Now right click on the new unallocated Space and click on New Simple Volume. Now click next and select the size of the new drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and you will be able to create a new drive.
Create new drive in Windows 10 using third party software
Although there are many software out there the best one which I found was Ease Us Partition Master.
You can download the software from here: Ease Us Partition Master
- Install Ease Us Partition Master and then run it.
- It will show all the drives and partitions on the system.
- Right click on the drive which you want to resize i.e. the drive from which you want to create new drives and click on resize.
- Now drag the slider as shown in the image below to the size you want to keep for that drive. Rest of the space will get free for new drive.
- After this click on Apply. (See Picture) Your PC may restart in order to complete the process.
- After the PC gets restarted open Ease Us Partition Master again and then you will see unallocated space. Right Click on unallocated space and click on “Create Partition” and then follow the on-screen instructions to create the new partition.
The second method may seem lengthy but if you follow it you will surely be able to create a new drive while in the first method you may get some warning or error messages.
Do let me know if you were able to create new drives on your PC or not. Also comment if you get stuck somewhere. Happy Browsing.