Microsoft Office on Windows 10 or Windows 7 or 8 is really great with a lot of great features and runs smoothly. But some users are facing an issue related to Microsoft Office that a process by the name “Microsoft Office Click-to-Run” starts on its own and uses a lot of computer resources mainly RAM. (Note that this might not consume high resources in some cases only and not all cases).
It also wants to connect to the internet every time.
I started facing this issue from the day I installed Office 2016. I play games, thus I want to get the most out of my machine. So, I try to close every single process that I don’t need while gaming. But I was not able to stop this. At first, I thought it might be some update service but I noticed that it was always running and even if you end it, it would start again on its own.
What is Microsoft Office Click-to-Run?
Microsoft Click-to-Run is a service which is provided so that you can install and update Microsoft Office products.
Benefits of Microsoft Office Click-to-Run
- Faster downloading and installation of Microsoft Office products.
- Microsoft Office products are always up to date. No manual updates are required. They are automatically updated.
- One can run different versions of Microsoft Office side by side on the same system.
Disadvantages of Microsoft Office Click-to-Run
- Always runs in the background.
- In some cases, it eats up a lot of system resources which in turn can make the PC/laptop perform slow.
How to disable Microsoft Office Click-to-Run?
- Press CTRL + R to open run.
- Type services.msc in the run box and press Enter.
- You would see the list of services on the right-hand side. Find Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service. Check the screenshot for reference:
- Right-click on Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service and select properties.
- Select Startup Type as “Disabled” on the General Tab of Properties.
That’s it. You have now successfully deactivated Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service and it won’t start again on its own until and unless you change its startup type to something else other than Disable.
Do write to me in comments if you are facing any issues with this. Also, let me know if you know of any other ways to disable Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service.