Recently I saw this message popping up on my Google Chrome on some specific sites and not on all sites:
Although everything was working fine even with this error message I just wanted to know why this message was showing up and wanted to fix this.
So, I found this fix for the error Rats Web GL hit a Snag. But, before we move towards fixing this, first let’s see exactly what this error message is and why does it show up in Google Chrome.
What is Web GL?
The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) helps with the execution of this.
This is more than enough for us to know as of now and we should proceed with looking at ways to fix this.
How to fix Rats Web GL hit a Snag in Google Chrome
There are 2-3 ways to fix this.
1. Disable Hardware Acceleration for Graphics in Chrome
- Open Chrome Settings by clicking on the three dots on the right-hand side and going to settings or type in chrome://settings
- Go to Advanced Settings by clicking on Advanced written at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Scroll down till bottom and you’ll find an option “Use hardware acceleration when available”.
- Toggle it Off and restart Chrome. Check the screenshot below for reference:
2. Disabling WebGL altogether in Google Chrome
- Go to chrome://flags/ and press CTRL + F and type in WebGL 2.0
- This will take you to WebGL settings.
- Choose Disabled from the drop-down. Check the screenshot for reference:
These were the 2 ways to fix this Rats GL issue. There is another way which can be used by tech-savvy users if they could understand the problem as specified by Chrome.
Go to chrome://gpu and scroll down to the Problems Detected section. There you will find some problems listed as detected by Chrome browser regarding Web GL and other problems. Check the screenshot for reference:
You can use these descriptions to solve problems with Chrome including the Web GL problem. But, you might not need this as the first 2 solutions would work flawlessly.
Do let me know in comments if you know of any other ways to solve this problem. Also, let me know if you still have any issues and we will try to fix it.